Write Max a Note or Share a photo at: Maxwell . McBride@myldsmail.net

Monday, April 25, 2016

April 25, 2016 Just Some Thoughts

Dear Family,

I didn't really have anything that I especially wanted to write about today, but then I read Sam's letter and Mom's letter and that made me think of something to write about. (by the way this keyboard is lame and won't capitalize things very easy, so forgive the tiny letters haha) it fits in with what sam was saying about progress and what mom said about sunday school. 

Why is it important that we do the simple things of the gospel? Because those simple things lead to huge progress. Simple habits yield incredible results. It's hard for someone who prays regularly not to see Gods influence in their life and feel grateful. He really does hear and answer our prayers. I know that because I've experienced it. If you read the Book of Mormon 30 minutes a day, you will read it cover to cover in under 2 months. I know that because I've tested it. If you go to church and hold the sabbath and use that day for greater learning you will understand more and more of the truth and feel closer and closer to God. I know that because I've felt it. (i think I figured out the keyboard)

So now why is truth important? Why does it matter what the scriptures say or that commandments exist or anything about doctrine matters? I think that it is because truth gives us the greatest opportunity for progress. Truth gives us the perspective we need to make right choices. Elder Weese and I had an opportunity this week to have a casual discussion with someone who is very skeptical about religion over a meal at her mom's house. She was trying to put it down, but Elder Weese and I just started testifying. I said that the reason you need something more than just science is because science changes, the science of today doesn't even kind of resemble the science of a 1000 years ago, or 100, or even 5. I had a man tell me once that he believes science has a pretty good explanation for just about everything.  I'm quite certain some alchemist or doctor or scientist in the 800s probably said something similar. I said that we need God because he gives us truths that never change, ways to live our lives, so that we can always progress, help others, and be happy.  Sunday School and scripture study isn't just some new temporary fad that's good for you because the researchers nowadays have proven it.  God has suggested that we do them from the beginning of time. They can't be proven to give a different or opposite result in 5 years like the latest superfood or the newest thing that causes cancer. Truth is important. The girl we were talking to seemed to soften a little bit when we presented a logical argument, but then started naming off a bunch of negatives with religion. When she was done we responded that we're not here to defend religion in general, because countless awful things are done or have been done with religion as the cause.  We were here to help others find the truth and we believe that The Church of Jesus Christ really is the truth.  If we truly learn and do the teachings of the Church, it will help us to expand our perspectives, grow in our love, and be happy. That's a fact. I know it because I've experienced it. The girl was really touched, I think. She wasn't willing to try herself yet, but we could see that a little change started in her. 

Anyways keep doing the little things!
I love you guys! 
Ældste McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment